Saturday, October 10, 2009

Thursday Night with the Elders

So, once again, a lesson was scheduled with Elder Lord and Elder Modlik (No 'c').

Finally, I was to take my fruit from the 'Tree of Knowledge' and know what is right, and what is wrong. I mean, obviously, through maturity and different experiences we develop an understanding of what is right, and what is wrong. However, like most basic human-theories, there is always going to be that gray area- Not quite knowing where to draw the line with certain rules and so-on.

Society holds an abundance of laws relating to traffic, murder, treason and many more. The court systems throughout the World have proven to us that there are, in more cases than one, many gray areas.

Not only learning, but KNOWING the 10 simple commandments is a sure way to know the basic do's and don'ts... Obviously, it does not cover all rules and there are a lot of others that are to be learnt. Rules that don't seem so wrong by society, but once understood in a spiritual sense they make a lot of sense.

1. Do not have any other God's before our Heavenly Father.

2. Do not worship idols or statues.

3. Do not use the Lord's name in vain.

4. Remember the Sabbath day and keep it Holy.

5. Honor thy Father and thy Mother

6. Do not commit muder

7. Do not commit adultery

8. Do not steal.

9. Do not lie.

10. Do not covet possessions of other's.


Or, word for word from Exodus:
(Or, you can skip it...)
Exodus 20:2-17

2 I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery;

3 Do not have any other gods before me.

4 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me,

6 but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.

7 You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name.

8 Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy.

9 For six days you shall labour and do all your work.

10 But the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work—you, your son or your daughter, your male or female slave, your livestock, or the alien resident in your towns.

11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and consecrated it.

12 Honor your father and your mother, so that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.

13 You shall not murder.

14 You shall not commit adultery.

15 You shall not steal.

16 You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

17 You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.


All in all, the Elders used a great method in order to remember it. I'm glad that Elder's around the World are able to teach others, like me, in a simple and effective way.

The commandments are promised to be kept by someone when they make a sacred covenant with the Lord through Baptism.

Punishment is expected if someone is to break a household or school rule or law of society. The same principle applies to the sacred Commandments set by the Lord. Only, the consequences of breaking the Commandments doesn't just affect your immediate or future life on Earth, but will affect your eternal life. Obviously, that is much more to contemplate than say, 3 months with no driving license for a traffic offense... So, these should be taken much more seriously.
It is also said that, when judgment day arrives and the Lord is to determine your eternal life, it is based on Law. Not Love. You can love the Lord, and have complete belief in him, but if you don't respect and obey the Commandments then your eternal life can be put into jeopardy.

Alternatively, if one obeys the Lord and his Commandments, then one can expect many blessings throughout their life.

Commandment number 4 talks of the Sabbath day, keeping it Holy and attending Sacrament to "renew" the covenant made with the Lord. It is said that no-one is perfect, and the covenant can and will be broken week in, week out- Hence, the importance of sacrament.

That said, I know that when I decide on a time to be Baptized, it will be a time when I am ready. I want to be ready to make that sacred covenant, and not rely on sacrament as a fall-back option for when I do break the covenant. Does that make sense?
When I proposed to Melodie for her hand in marriage, I knew I was ready because I was not willing to put our friendship and love in jeopardy for any temptations, be it violence, drugs or other women. I knew that I could make a promise to her that I could keep for a life time and eternity.
I want to be able to do the same with our Heavenly Father. To know with complete certainty that I am ready to make a promise for a life time and eternity.

Some people say to me, "Don't make out Baptism to be a huge deal." My response is, well, it is to me! And I think it should be. Yes, I believe and I have faith, but I don't need Baptism to prove that. I feel I need it to be able to prove that I can be "Christ Like"...

... Went off track a bit...

So, the Commandments seem like they can be easy to follow. I guess the most difficult would be to not use the Lord's name in vain- and if it means I have to re-teach myself about what words to use when I jar my finger in a car door, then so be it.

Other than that, keeping Sunday a Holy day may prove difficult, only because of my love for sport, and we all know all the big games just happen to fall on Sunday!! However, the easiest solution I found to that is to record it, and watch it the following day- problem solved.

Finally, wanting things that others have. It's human nature to want things that we cannot have, or to want things that friend's and family have. Although, the only thing I've ever really wanted is a family of my own. And, I have that, so too does Melodie.

Those three Commandments, to be, would have been the most difficult to overcome, but I think I already have.

Now, to put them into practice and to begin living my repented life!

The Elder's were able to read my journey thus far and it was good to share my blog with them the other night. They got a kick out of what I had written and it was awesome to see their reaction while they were reading it. To see them laugh, smile and even think about what I had written. I only wish I could see everyone's reactions!!!!!!!!

You want to read something interesting? Read tomorrow's blog after the second day of watching G.C.!!!
What can I say about the first day that won't give my emotions away so far... WOW!!!! Thats about it =)

Cya tomorrow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts!