Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Probably the most spiritual day of my LIFE so far.

Well, my day started with readings of the 'Teachings' on the bus on the way to work this morning. I find it very calming to read something of this nature, rather than a fiction book. It really gets the mind working and waking up!

I haven't read this book for a few days, only because I have taken in so much over the past week, I needed time to process it, and to reflect on it.

While talking with Melodie during the day, I got the sense that she was a little worried towards my new-found 'hobby'. She was ecstatic and full of joy at how far I have come in such a short time, but she was also worried that people would try to sway me from the truth. At this point, having read what I have read, and knowing what I know, as well as NOT knowing what I CAN know, I can see this journey taking a life-time... Literally.

What I mean, is that no matter what someone says, or what signs point me AWAY from LDS, I know that I have more to find out and to explore. Melodie knows well that when I want to do something, I'm not going to give up without a fight. I guess that's the stubbornness in me.

After speaking with Mel about this particular topic, I took into account what she had said. Obviously, she is one who has been on this journey for a much, much longer time than I have. I thought about it, and thought of what kind of objects could be thrown in my path. Or what could lead me away from living life by the gospel!?

I will be honest and say that there aren't many I could think of off the top of my head. Already, I see that God's power is much stronger than Satan's as God, I believe, played a part in bringing me, and Melodie, together. Now, I would like to see Satan do better than THAT!

However, as I said, I took into account what Melodie was telling me, and decided the only way to know, was to ask. My lunchtime prayer was devoted to asking the question, "how do I know if I am being taken away from the path?" I wasn't expecting an answer, because I thought I already had it.

I got home to Manly at 5pm and was waiting for Mum to pick me up. She called to say she'd be a little late, so I took that opportunity to read more of the 'Teachings'. I put on my headphones, opened the book, listened and read chapter 4. About half way through the chapter, I saw what I was looking for.

Chapter 4, Page 62 - "The wisdom of the Lord is greater than the cunning of the devil"

As I read that sentence over and over again, I noticed exactly what it was. The discussion I had with Melodie earlier was a bit all over the place, but this is what I was trying to get across. In my head and, more importantly, in my heart, I know where I am heading. I am so intrigued, so enlightened by this journey that, not one single thing can prevent me from reaching what I want out of it. Yes, I do know what I want out of it, but that will come later in the blog.

So what I got out of this so far was, a simple talk with Melodie really got me thinking hard about the devil's work and how to avoid it. I asked a question during my prayer, and it was given to me that afternoon. If only all my questions were answered that quickly.


Moving on, I had an appointment with the Elders at the Church in Harbord. It was set for 6:30pm and they didn't give me many details about what was to happen. They told me it was a tour of the Church and a short DVD. I drove to the Church and got their right on 6:30. Elder Modlik and Elder Lord were there to greet me which was cool.

It was youth night (?) so there were a few kids around. I walked in to see Bishop Wolfgramm there too which was a total shock for me. He seemed really happy and excited to see me there. I wasn't sure if he'd even remember who I was, but he did make comments relating back to our wedding and did ask how Melodie was. Of course, I sinned and lied to the Bishop by saying "she's doing great!" (haha!).

The Bishop was kind enough to 'tag-along' and later stated that this was "much more important than looking after the kids", only because his right-hand man was there to look out for them. I took a lot out of his statement. He is a man who I have met on only a few occasions, but also had the pleasure of his services through marrying me and Melodie. I had never actually had a chat with him though and was extremely glad that he was there.

We began the tour in the hallway of the Church, where we discussed my experiences over the past week. I told them that Melodie and I had read Alma 34 and 32 in that order and they agreed that she had definitely made a wise choice. Having read and understood those chapters, I can see why they made that remark.

We went into the chapel itself and said a prayer together. We talked of the peace and calmness within this room and I shared the experience of those exact things that I felt on Sunday. We went to the front of the Church to the Sacrament table and they explained to me how it was the most important part of the Church. I was never really sure of what Sacrament really was. From my old days of trying to study religion, I thought it was sort of like paying respect to Jesus by eating the bread which symbolizes his body, and drinking wine which symbolizes his blood. The Elders explained to me that, throughout the week, sins are made. No body is perfect. But, Sacrament is a part of the week when you can re-ignite the covenant made with God at Baptism.

This in itself was confusing, because I wasn't sure how to take it. Baptism is the most cherished, and sacred of all processes within the Church as is my understanding and the Elders went on to tell me that EVERY single member of the Church will sin during the coarse of the week, therefore it's important to attend sacrament. But is it really impossible to go through life by not sinning? Thats what I want to know! Even to go through a month!?

Bishop brought up the fact that there is no cross displayed anywhere within the Church. I told him how I had learned that the hard way. When Melodie first came to Australia, we were getting ready for our first day at Church together. Now, I know this area preeettty well, so when Melodie said that the Church was on Harbord road, I knew exactly where it was. We jumped in a cab and headed for Church. Upon arriving at the Church I said "we're here!" and we jumped out. I could tell Mel had quite a confused, puzzled look on her face. I asked her what was wrong and she said "There's a cross on the building, thats strange". Meanwhile, I'm thinking to myself, 'Uh, yeah, what'd you expect?' Melodie then went on to explain that, as a LDS, they celebrate the LIFE of christ. Not the death. Therefore, there are no crosses. Haha, I thought I'd share that with you because I felt like a tool at that time. I'm just happy I know why NOW!

Anyway... We left the chapel, the most important room in the Church, and they took me to the SECOND most important room in the Church. Not telling me exactly what it was, I walked in and there was a glass screen on the wall to the left. Behind that glass wall was a set of stairs leading down to a tiled area. Immediately, I knew it was the room for Baptism. Not that you had to be a genious. It was practically and over-sized bath tub.

We spoke of the importance of Baptism and a picture depicting Jesus being Baptized by John the Baptist. We also spoke of what Baptism was all about. Being reborn into a life with minimal sin. Making a covenant, or a promise, with the Lord. And accepting the Holy Ghost into our lives. Bishop went on to explain that the Holy Ghost never leaves our side. Although, we may leave IT to go off into a World of sin, as everyone does at some point each week. But, it never leaves us. That brought almost an eerie feeling to me, but one of excitement nevertheless.

Elder Modlik brought in a TV and it was time to watch the DVD they had for me. It was called "The Restoration" and it was a short 20 minute DVD about Joseph, his childhood, his vision of the two personages as well as later in his life after translating the plates of Moroni.

It was a very straight forward DVD and, afterwards, Elder Lord asked me what I thought of it. I didn't want to be offensive, but I told him how I felt. I felt that the DVD was cinematic crap. I felt that reading the Book of Mormon, as well as the Teachings gave me a feeling like no other. I did appreciate the DVD as it is another way to view, or to learn, of the History. But I got much more out of reading, than I did of the DVD. The three people sitting beside me seemed to acknowledge and accept my answer for what it was- not offensive towards the efforts of showing the DVD, but 'committed' and truthful in the way that I had told them how I had felt.

Obviously, the Elders thought it were time to set a Baptism goal. What I thought this meant was setting goals to get to Baptism (Such as, attending Church, Praying, reading and so on...) when in actual fact, they wanted me to keep a date in mind to BE Baptized. This was not something I wanted to commit to, because I didn't feel the time would be right.

WARNING: WHAT COMES NEXT MAY SHOCK YOU.

I have thought about it over the past week and have reflected on what I have learned, and what still needs to be learned.

Just today, I could admit... No, exclaim, to Melodie that I DO believe in God, furthermore, which I did not add at the time, but I DO believe in the Book of Mormon, and that I DO believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. I DO believe that Joseph had a vision from the two personages and that he DID translate the Book of Mormon. Is this a book that he could have purely written by his own wits. No, I do not believe so.


I WANT to be Baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.



Was that a shock? Were you expecting that? My apologies if you were eating at the time, and choked a little as you gasped for air from disbelief.


To clarify, I want to be Baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, because, I do believe in the above mentioned.

Today has been a remarkable day for my journey. A prayer was answered. I could say I Believe in God. And, I can say with a sincere heart, and complete intent, that I want to be Baptized.

1 comment:

  1. Mike!
    I was reading your post with my heart beating so quickly excited and nervous to read each word.
    I really can't tell you how happy I am that you have decided to be baptized. You are so intelligent and I can tell by the way you write and yet I can feel of your spirit, so eager and ready to accept the gospel fo what it is. The good news that Jesus Christ is our Savior. HE LIVES and loves us so much as does our Heavenly Father and we can look foward to the future with hope no matter what because of these truths. Melodie is so lucky to have you as her companion.
    If there is nothing I have learned for being married to my sweetheart its that our companions are gifts and with a righteous companion by your side you can reach your full potential as a child of our Heavenly Father.
    You have my love and the love of my family. We are so happy for you and Melodie. Truly the Lord is watching you both and wants nothing more than to see you and your family united in the gospel.
    I know the church is true, that Joseph Smith is a prophet of God. The Book of Mormon is the word of God and that the temple is the place where families are sealed together for this life and the life to come.

    Keep us updated and let us know if you need ANYTHING!!
    Charis

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your thoughts!