Thursday, January 28, 2010

Family Home Evening

Tonight, I conducted our first Family Home Evening night via the telephone. I have never attended a Family Home Evening night, let alone conducted one, so obviously I was a little nervous. As I was preparing, I asked Heavenly Father for guidance, as well as the guidance of the Holy Ghost.

Needless to say, in light of our recent blessings, I found it a fitting topic to talk about fasting.

We opened up the night with Melodie saying a quick prayer, and then continuing on with the reading of our scriptures.

I won't go through every little detail, but we spoke of The fast day and how to fast through the example of Jesus (Luke 4:1-4). We also spoke of why we pray when we fast, as well as why we should fast with a purpose.

Finally, we talked of the blessings we receive through fasting such as peace and spiritual power and how these things can help us to over come temptations, receive revelation and to do righteous acts.

I did learn that fasting should not be an event that is to be advertised. I am guilty of advertising my fasting and the reason behind it, ESPECIALLY when we had received our NOA2. However, I feel as though I was advertising is as my missionary work, to entice people to ask me more questions about the Church.

It was a beautiful evening and definitely brought Melodie and I closer... Again!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts!